The Peasant Traditional Dance at Suciu de Sus
Epiphany is a holiday rich in traditions and customes strictly adhered in Maramures area, which boasts with some of the most beautiful and ancient rituals. Between 6th and 7th of January, in Suciu de Sus takes place The Peasant Traditional Dance, a local holiday with traditional dances that marks and celebrates Epiphany.
Despite the cold weather in this time of the year, people from Suciu de Sus do not give up to one of the most important traditions of the Epiphany – The Peasant Dance. Locals come all together, dress up and organize a traditional dance with folklore dances specific to Lapus Country.
So, between 6th and 7th of January 2012, tourists who come to Suciu de Sus, in Maramures, have the opportunity to admire one of the most beautiful tradition in our country at the begging of the year and dance the Peasant Traditional Dance, organized by local residents. This happens only after the priest in the community sanctifies water and people houses with holy water in order to chase away the evil spirits.
- 1 “Mihai Viteazul” (Michael the Brave) – rural celebration
- 2 “La fântâna dorului” (At the Sorrow Fountain) – folk festival
- 3 The Onion Festival
- 4 Negreni Fair
- 5 The Grapes Ball
- 6 Folklore and folk art afferent to the tradition of Beius Fair
- 7 The Slovakian Potatoes Holiday
- 8 Aeternus Maramorosiensis – Medieval Festival of Sighetu Marmatiei
- 9 The “Salajean Village” Festival – Porolissum
- 10 Autumn on Ierului Valley